First Of All
I have to admit, I’ve always felt uncomfortable sharing too much information about myself on social media platforms, or just anywhere public in general. Imagine…here goes my overthinking mind, if someone decides to stalk you online just like Joe from the Netflix series “You”! Never would I have ever imagined I’m here today sharing “32 Interesting Facts About Me” online. Wow, I’m such a hypocrite.
But you know what, I’m not going to my paranoid alter ego hinder me from sharing with my readers some weird and interesting facts about me. And at the same time, I’ll get to reminisce and relive some memories about myself that I’ve long forgotten about.
Some Interesting Facts About Me…
- Since I am half Taiwanese half Ghanaian and grew up in Taiwan, I sometimes forget that I look different than my Taiwanese peers, and genuinely get surprised when I look in the mirror to see that my skin is brown and my hair is curly haha!
- I am such a DEEP sleeper it’s actually scary sometimes. I’ve once set the loudest alarms I could set on my two phones and put them under my pillow. Guess what, the next morning, both phones died after almost 5 hours of ringing. I slept through THAT. And I don’t know whether I should find this amusing or concerning.
- I questioned life a lot ever since the age of 10. I remember crying in bed one night because I was thinking about how the universe could possibly an infinite space that will never have an ending. Or at least not that I knew of.
- I’ve been obsessed with Rihanna (YAS QUEEN RIRI) since the age of 8. She will forever be my first true love. Lmao, that’s too much.
- I used to dream of being a flight attendant until I realized that I am absolutely terrified of flying and I HATE turbulence. And also, I’m not mentally built for dealing with difficult customers, especially not 35,000 feet above the ground.
- Even though I speak English fluently, I still feel the most comfortable speaking in Mandarin. I speak it not only with my Taiwanese mom but with my dad who is from Ghana (he speaks Mandarin fluently).
- My brother and I have been on the news as well as several newspapers in Taiwan due to the fact that we’re half-black, which is pretty rare in Taiwan back then. And I honestly don’t know how to feel about this but I just laugh about it now.
- Recently just discovered the deliciousness of avocados this year, and I’m not going to lie, avocado toasts definitely live up to the hype!
- Don’t know why, but I LOVE the smell of gasoline and Wite-Out pens. I was lowkey addicted to it when I was in elementary school and I feel genuinely embarrassed that I also went through a phase of withdrawal.
- I am super OCD about finishing the food on my plate. Every time I eat out, no matter how full I am, I always feel the need to finish everything I ordered. I don’t remember the last time I asked for a to-go box in the past few years. (Does anyone feel the same way? Or do I actually have an eating disorder that I don’t know about?)
- If I see someone cry, I will cry too. And as much as I want to hold my emotions back, my tears can never control themselves.
- I used to live in the Cayman Islands with my mom when she was working at a Chinese restaurant there. I didn’t go to school (I was in 5th grade) at all for the 4 months I was living there and it was pretty awesome to say the least.
- My favorite Disney Channel show was “That’s So Raven”, and my favorite Nickelodeon show was “Drake and Josh”.
- I used to have the biggest crush on Louis Tomlinson from One Direction. I don’t think I’ve ever loved someone so much in my entire life. And now to think about it, my obsession was definitely not normal.
- I used to have a pet bunny called “bunny” because that’s just how creative I was as a kid. And one day, my grandpa decided to send it to my uncle’s Apple orchard so that it could have a better life living in nature. Two weeks later, we got a call from my uncle saying that my bunny was literally snatched away by a wild dog. Welp, all I can say is I cherished the short moments we spent together.
- I chose to major in Business Administration in college because my mom asked a fortune-teller about my future, and the fortune-teller had a vision I would be a great financial advisor. And so I said why not, and picked Business. Haha, what an absurd story.
- My favorite food is Stinky Tofu from Taiwan. If it weren’t for the fact that it is quite unhealthy, I would eat it every day if I could.
- Another kind of interesting facts about me is that I sneeze every time when I eat dark chocolate and super minty gum.
- If I can only listen to one genre of music for the rest of my life, then it would definitely be R&B. Especially 90s R&B. Ex: Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Anthoney Hamilton, and the list goes on.
- I prefer handmade cards and presents over fancy and expensive gifts.
- OK, so I just found out recently that camels can swim, and that really had me shook. Is this a common fact and I’m just ignorant, or are you all surprised too?
- My favorite movie of all time is probably “The Pursuit of Happyness” by Will Smith and his son Jaden Smith. The last few scenes always get to me no matter how many times I watch it. Will Smith is such a great actor, ugh!
- I’ve only had two serious crushes in my entire life. Maybe I just find most boys in my school very annoying and immature lol.
- I loved reading the Magic Tree House series when I was a kid. Since my English was really bad at the time and I couldn’t understand a lot of it, I would use a translator device to help me even though it was pretty time-consuming.
- I’m near-sighted, but I don’t like to wear my glasses unless it’s absolutely necessary. So I usually can’t recognize anybody on the street unless they are one foot away from me.
- I’m allergic to every kind of seafood except for fish. My grandma used to not care about my allergies and put shrimp in her dumplings. Of course, I had to eat them because, in an Asian household, you never waste or say no to food. So yea, ten-year-old me would be forcing dumplings down my itchy throat meanwhile my lips and eyes were on fire. Fun times.
- I purposely burned myself with a scorching hot light bulb at a restaurant (The light bulbs were placed near the ground to light up the restaurant… pretty interesting design) because I wanted to see how it felt. Needless to say, a huge patch of skin on my calf came right off, and my whole family was shocked at my level of stupidity.
- I do not know how to drive a car, and I am 22 years old. Yes, this takes a lot of courage to admit and I hope you all are proud of me for this confession. I promise though, I will get my driver’s license soon. (Said this every year since the age of 18).
- My mom wanted me to go to Harvard, but I went to USC instead for undergraduate. However, I’m still not off the hook because now my mom wants me to go to Harvard Business School. We’ll see how that goes. “Hey Harvard! Can you just accept me so that my mom would be happy and my life would be slightly easier?”
- I did not have my first phone until the age of 18. If my friends wanted to reach me, they had to call my mom or the house phone. And if I ever had to contact anyone when I’m out alone, I had to use a payphone. Now that I think about it, not having a phone was quite liberating since I was detached from society in some way.
- My absolute favorite dessert is cheesecakes. I LOVE cheesecakes so much that I’m willing to gain 20 pounds for it. And my close second would probably be rum cake or carrot cake, it’s hard to choose.
- I have not seen one episode of “Friends” or “Game of Thrones” and I’m okay with it. No matter how many people pressure me to watch it I still stand strong in my decision because I love being a rebel for no reason.
There you have it, “32 Interesting Facts About Me”! I hope that was not too weird for your liking. Maybe I should just rename this entire post “32 WEIRD and slightly Interesting Facts About Me”. What do you think?
For travel tips and inspirations, make sure to check out:
- Eating Alone While Traveling? 10 Tricks To Help Overcome Your Fear
- 10 Affordable Travel Must-Haves For Your Next Adventure
- 12 Things To Do In Thailand: Top Attractions and Activities You’ll Love
- Best Places To Travel Alone
- San Marcos Guatemala Travel Guide