We’ve all been bored out of our minds before and just couldn’t seem to find anything to do. But let’s be honest here, there are actually TONS of things to do, it’s just that we’re kind of lazy. So instead of resorting to sleeping when we have nothing to do, we can use this time to better ourselves mentally, physically, spiritually, financially, and the list goes on. Below, I’ve listed “101 Productive Things To Do When Bored” to help you brainstorm some things you can do to make use of your spare time!
Productive Things To Do When Bored: Self Improvement
- Improve our mental health by being aware of our own thoughts and using positive self-affirmations ( The Blissful Mind)
- Be grateful every day. Write down 10 things we’re grateful for every morning.
- Practice random acts of kindness! Hold the door for a stranger or help someone carry their groceries to the car.
- Try a digital detox. Turn off Wifi on all devices, and just enjoy a day without any Social Media distractions. Of course, make sure people can still reach you through a phone call just in case of emergencies.
- Breathe consciously. Learning how to breathe correctly can really improve our health.
- Create a mission statement for our life!
- Join Jo Franco’s Journal Club! She has an awesome 30-day journal prompt that we can follow to help with inner self-reflection.
“Become addicted to constant and never-ending self improvement”
- Learn how to meditate. Nowadays, it’s quite hard to sit down and let our minds go blank due to all the distractions we have. Mastering the art of meditation can be challenging, but definitely worth our time.
- Change our habits. We’re all creatures of habits, and once we stick to a routine, it can be difficult to change. So use your spare time to actively change your bad habits into better ones.
- Accept the past. Lots of us still suffer from negative thoughts that are triggered by traumatic past experiences. And the first step to overcome these thoughts is acceptance. Learn to let go of the past, and start appreciating the present moment.
- Reflect on your day before going to bed. What are some things we could have done better? And did we live our day in the best way possible?
- Call our family and friends and let them know we’re thinking about them
- Lay down on the grass and look at the sky. I love doing this! Appreciate the beauty of the planet earth that we’re living on and the abundance of life around us.
- Read a book! Did you know that in 2015, more than 27% of Americans didn’t read a single book!? And even if you don’t like reading, you can always listen to audiobooks!
Take Up A New Hobby To Make Life More Fun!
- Learn a new language! Being fluent in a foreign language can be beneficial in a lot of situations. Plus, it’s sexy knowing how to speak several languages.
- Pick up photography
- Learn to cook. There are tons of tutorials and recipes online (Love Foodies) that can help you become the amazing chef that you’ve always wanted to be.
- Learn to draw realistic portraits
- Start gardening! Gardening can be really fulfilling and therapeutic. And by taking care of these plants and flowers, you’ll feel a sense of responsibility and purpose.
- Scrapbook important and memorable events in your life. So that when we’re old and wrinkly, we can reminisce on the good old days.
- Write a small novel, or fanfiction to fulfill all your fantasies
- Find a book or online tutorials on how to perform magic tricks!
- Learn Origami. It’s a beautiful art and a low-cost hobby. With just a few sheets of paper, you can create awesome decorations for your room.
- Learn to play a musical instrument!
- Try to beat the world record. Check the Guinness World Records to see if you can beat any records other people did.
- Collect something…anything.
- Science says that Knitting makes you happier! So I’d say give that a try!
Get Your Finances Together Like An Actual Adult!
- Set up automatic payments for your bills so that you never forget to pay them! Also, this will help tremendously in terms of your credit score.
- Keep track of your spending. Whether it’s through an app, a spreadsheet, or the old school pen and paper.
- Create a personal budget. This goes hand in hand with tracking your spending. If we want to actually start saving up, we need to have a budget and stick to it! Here is an article on how to create your own budget.
- Use finance apps like MINT to make our lives easier.
- Clear out all the paperwork that we’ve kept hidden somewhere in our closet. Since most of our bills are available online now, it’s time to shred these useless pieces of paper.
- Organize important documents like your tax return and w-2 forms. If you have it stored on your computer, make sure to create a backup or upload it onto Google Drive so you don’t worry about losing your important information.
“Save money and money will save you”
- Set up automatic deposits to your savings and retirement accounts
- De-clutter your wallet! Throw away those business cards that you got from random people on the street decades ago.
- Cancel Free Trials. I don’t know who needs to hear this, but “Cancel your free trials!!!” And always make sure to set a reminder on your phone for the date that your free trial will expire.
- Cancel your cable if you barely even watch TV. Most shows are available now on streaming apps, so why bother paying extra just to watch the same thing on television.
- Learn to invest our money once we start saving. Don’t just let your money sit there in the bank. Take advantage of the compound interest and let your money work for you!
- Create a financial plan. Just like achieving any other goal in life, we need to have a plan, and follow through with it.
Productive Things To Do When Bored: Get Healthy!
- Join a yoga class. The benefits of doing yoga are quite amazing. Not only does it increases our flexibility, but our overall posture as well.
- Run! This is probably the most straight forward workout out there.
- Do a sugar detox. Nowadays, almost everything is added with artificial ingredients and loads of sugar. Try minimizing your sugar intake and see how that improves your overall well-being. Check out Blair’s detailed post on how to do a sugar detox!
- Drink more water.
- Eat from a smaller bowl. Eating your food from a smaller bowl can make you feel more satisfied even though you’re consuming less food. If you’re having a hard time dieting, maybe give this a try.
“A healthy life is a scared bliss”
- Go for walks around your neighborhood. If you’re bored out of your mind, walk around and discover new things around your house. And get your daily exercise intake at the same time.
- Go Hiking! Being in nature is super beneficial for both your physical and mental health. If there’s a hiking spot in your town that you’ve never been to, this is the time to go explore it!
- Bike instead of driving. Instead of driving to get your daily intake of McFlurry at McDonald’s, bike there!
- Cook a healthy meal. Check out these 50 popular healthy meal recipes by the FoodNetwork.
- Host an impromptu dance party either by yourself or with your whole family.
- Climb a tree! Be careful though.
- Play “the floor is lava”! This will get you sweating for sure.
Productive Things To Do When Bored: Start A Business
- Start a blog! Check out Christine’s articles on how to start a blog from scratch! Many people don’t realize that blogging is actually quite a lucrative business, so you should definitely look into it.
- Create a Youtube channel. One of my favorite Youtubers, Kelly Stamps, made a video recently motivating others to start a Youtube channel too. If you’ve been wanting to become a Youtuber for the longest time, this is your sign to finally do it!
- Build a Shopify store!
- Start selling your hand-made products on Etsy. It’s a super big business right now, and if you love arts and crafts, this platform will allow you to make money doing what you love!
- Learn to Copywrite. If you don’t know what copywriting is, check out this video by Alex Cattoni on “What Is Copywriting?”
“Don’t wait for the right moment to start the business”
- If you love dogs, become a professional dog walker!
- Become a personal trainer. Start advertising your service wherever you go, and create a website that shows what you have to offer.
- Resell items on eBay! Check out the MoneyFox’s article on the “Seven Tips To Get Started On Your eBay Reselling Business”
- Become a photographer, and post your best photos on Instagram. By leveraging your Instagram followings, you can secure brand collaborations and sponsorships to help further expand your photography business.
- Become a freelance graphic designer! There are tons of free courses online that can help you master the art of graphic design.
- Earn money through affiliate marketing.
- Become a virtual assistant. Are you good at staying organized as well as a jack of all trades? Being a virtual assistant is a great career path if your goal is to be location independent.
Productive Things To Do When Bored: Career Advancement
- Step up your networking game! Start being more active on LinkedIn, and create connections through meaningful conversations with future colleagues or employers. Check out these useful tips on how to network on LinkedIn.
- Join MeetUp to network with like-minded people in your industry. Who knows? You might even start a business with someone you meet there.
- Find a mentor to help guide you along your career path. If you want to advance in any field of your life, having a mentor is crucial to your success.
- Attend webinars and training sessions to better your skills.
- Write down concrete goals for your life. Set both short term and long term goals to hold yourself accountable.
- Work on your public speaking skill. Knowing how to persuade and influence your audience is important in any field of work. And by mastering this skill, you will become a better leader!
- Build your self-confidence. Check out these awesome tips on how to boost your confidence level.
- Sharpen your listening skills. Strong interpersonal communication skill is fundamental to gaining the respect of your peers and future employers. Being a good communicator will open many doors for you in life, and attract the notice of outside influencers.
- Build your reputation by attending conferences, writing articles, and delivering speeches related to your expertise.
- Volunteer and contribute positively to your community.
- Build a concrete productivity plan for your work-life. Find out ways to work more efficiently and produce higher quality outcomes.
- Improve your work-life balance with these tips!
Productive Things To Do When Bored: Organize Your Life
- Organize your closet! Stop procrastinating and get to it, I know you got this!
- Clean your room. How long has it been since you really mopped your floors and dusted the crusty corners of your desk area? Your room is the representation of who you are. So make sure it’s nice and clean.
- De-clutter your working space.
- Scan and back up photos so that you don’t have to worry about losing those precious baby pictures in your photo album.
- Donate clothes you never wear. I know it can be hard to let go of old stuff. But it’ll be put to better use if you donate it to people in need.
- Secure all your passwords on Lastpass
- Unsubscribe from email newsletters and notifications that’s been bothering you for years.
- Organize your emails! Delete the 10,000 junk mails that you still keep for no reason.
- Keep a todo list on a whiteboard in your room, so that you know what your priorities are each day.
- Make an emergency backpack just in case!
- Create a routine for house chores. For example, which day to do the laundry, and which day to sweep the floor.
- Start a bullet journal with Shelby’s step by step tutorial to help organize your thoughts.
Productive Things To Do When Bored: Treat Yourself!
- Take a relaxing bath! I feel like nowadays, it’s always about “GO GO GO”, and we never really have the time to enjoy quality time with ourselves. So, indulge yourself in some soothing activities and relax your muscles.
- Get a pedicure or manicure. Looking nice can make us feel more in touch with our femininity!
- Light a candle in your room before going to bed. Check out these 10 ways you can benefit from lighting a candle!
- Listen to music and sing along. Release our inner Beyonce or Michael Jackson and get our grooves on.
- Watch a documentary on Netflix and learn about interesting topics.
- Listen to a podcast. I love podcasts because it makes you feel as if you’re part of their conversation haha.
- Follow along a makeup tutorial to perfect your makeup techniques. So that next time you go out, you won’t struggle to nail your eyeliner wing.
- Write a love poem to yourself! Self-love is important guys!
- Do a home-made face mask to make your face glow!
- Treat yourself to a nice meal, whether it’s at a nice restaurant or a fast-food chain.
- Buy yourself flowers from Trader Joe’s and make a nice bouquet out of it
- Purchase that piece of clothing you’ve been wanting for the longest time!
- Open that bottle of champagne and drink the whole thing just because. You’ll get a good night’s sleep out of that for sure.
- Take a 15-minute power nap to boost your energy!
Now, Go Find Things To Do!
I hope these 101 productive things to do when bored has helped you realize that you can ALWAYS have stuff to do. We have 24 hours in a day to spend, 8 of those have already gone to sleep. Therefore, with 16 hours left, it’s all about making the best use of those hours, and creating our ideal life! I have another post on “The 40 Things You Can Do While Alone” which can also help you take advantage of your free time!
Let me know in the comments if you enjoyed this post. And for more related content on productivity, motivation, and inspiration, make sure to check out: